You can't secure what you don't acknowledge.SM

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What’s Better for Your Information Security Career – Certifications, a Degree, or Good Old-Fashioned Experience?

Here's a piece I wrote on information security careers and what's best for getting ahead:

What’s Better for Your Information Security Career – Certifications, a Degree, or Good Old-Fashioned Experience?

If you want to learn more on the go, I also have a Security On Wheels audio program on this topic that picks up where my article leaves off:
Certifications, Degrees, or Experience - What's Best for Your Security Career?

2 comments:

  1. Good article. Thank you for the advice. I was wonder about this very question myself since graduating from college this year.

    I do what I can right now. I belong to ISSA and attend all the meetings. I go to defcon meetings to meet people who are doing what I would like to learn (penetration testing type skills). I read lots of books including yours. I will begin studying for some certification as soon as I am sure which one is best.

    By the way, as I read your book "Hacking for Dummies" I would love to use some of the tools you mention in your book but was wondering if you could offer a suggestion as to how to obtain these tools without the "Trojans" included.:) I want to have them for my home lab so I can try them and see what they do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryl. Check out my other articles I've written on IT and information security careers at www.principlelogic.com/careers.html.

    I'm not sure about the Trojans...the tools I recommend/use are not malware unless you've downloaded some infected versions. Perhaps your anti-virus software believes differently - a common problem.

    Keep up the momentum and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete