We've all got job security on our minds as much as information security going into 2009. With that today is a big day. Not because of all the emails, meetings, and gargantuan to-do lists we have to start working on. That's all little stuff.
Today's a big day because it's the perfect day to scrap that nasty habit of creating those pie-in-the-sky New Year's resolutions that never come to fruition and, instead, do something real and meaningful. Something that's going to get you results. That is, setting real goals.
One thing is clear: you can't go any further in your life and career being who you currently are and knowing what you currently know. Setting tangible and realistic goals that you make yourself accountable to will make BIG changes for you in 2009. Here's how to get started:
- Determine what you want for yourself.
- Put each of your goals down on paper or in Microsoft Word or wherever - just document each goal very specifically and in the present tense such as "I earn $100,000".
- Set a deadline for each goal.
- Write out the steps you have to take to accomplish each goal.
- Prioritize all of your goals. Your #1 goal should be the one thing that'll make the biggest positive change for you and your family.
- Get started - just do something - today, now!
- Revisit your goals every day to program your subconscious mind so it positively affects each and every decision you make day in and day out.
That's it. Goal setting is not all that complicated but it does take initiative. You've got to want to make positive changes in your life and your career. If you don't, you'll just be at the exact same place this time next year. I can promise you that.
I'm going to be focusing on careers a lot this year in my blog and in my forthcoming audio programs. It's something I'm passionate about and it's something I hope you'll be able to benefit from. Let 2009 be the year to clarify your goals and make yourself more valuable. It's a choice on your part but know that I'll be here to help.